1.6

I hired a web developer through their website to work on my website. I gave him a list of very specific tasks, some relatively simple some more complex. The more complex tasks I broke down into components. I was quote 25 hours to complete all the tasks. But it took 50 hours and the complex tasks were never completed because despite him saying he could do them, it turns out they were too difficult for him. He kept telling me sorry I need more time and I believed him.

Eventually, when it became clear that he was not going to complete the more complex tasks, I requested a refund for the incompleted tasks. Which he rejected.

I filled a dispute with Upwork. They ruled in his favour because from their end he had done everything correct to show that he had spent the time I was paying for working on my project. Upwork has a workdiary app that records the freelancer's computer activity and takes screen shots while they work. The freelancer also has to leave a memo to state what work they are doing. But a screenshot every few minutes that shows my website and a memo that the freelancer wrote saying "working on the website" is hardly adequate proof that he spent the time I paid for actually doing the tasks I requested. Yes, he is working on the website, but he could be doing anything, that hardly proves that he spent time on the specific tasks I requested. All it does is prove that he was logged into my website. I am not disputing the time spent on the completed tasks as the proof that he worked on those tasks is the fact they are completed.

Upwork's repsonce to my dispute was that this is a quality of work issue not a issue with false hours billed. And quality of work is not covered under their dispute policy.

But when I signed up to their website and entered my billing details there was a statement that read 'Upwork payment protection: only pay for a job well done’ I even have a screenshot of this. Which I sent to Upwork. Immediately they changed the message on their website to read ‘Upwork payment protection: only pay for work you authorise’

So they have gone against their own statement and have changed the statement within hours of me pointing out their misleading statement in order to cover it up.

But also saying only pay for work you authorise is still misleading, because yes I did authorise the work, but I authorised it because I trusted this freelance web developer, to be honest when saying he could complete the tasks. But he wasn't honest, he just kept asking for more money.

I liked: Lots of diverse talent available.

I didn't like: Dispute resolution, Unethical business practices, Mediation, Bad advertising of their policy.

Comments